ejection was Mattinglys third of the season.

in Pony-Like Screenshots Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 am
by corse178 • 1.660 Posts

OKLAHOMA CITY -- After four straight blowout victories, the Los Angeles Clippers learned they can handle business in a close game.Blake Griffin scored 25 points, and the Clippers beat the Oklahoma City Thunder 110-108 on Friday night to improve the leagues top record and the best start in franchise history to 8-1.Oklahoma Citys Russell Westbrook missed what would have been a game-winning 3-pointer in the closing seconds.The Clippers had won their previous four games by an average of 24.5 points, so coach Doc Rivers wasnt sure how his team would handle a game with a tight finish. Los Angeles focused on slowing Westbrook, who burned them for 35 points in Oklahoma Citys 85-83 win in Los Angeles earlier in the month that gave the Clippers their only loss so far.Even though Andre Roberson and Domantas Sabonis found their shooting strokes as the Thunder made 16 of 28 3-pointers, the Clippers stuck to their defensive game plan.This is one of those games you can lose your trust in, Rivers said. Roberson was making 3s, Sabonis was making 3s, and were telling our guys to stay and clog the paint. And theyre looking at me like, `Why? We did it, and it worked out for us.Jamal Crawford scored 19 points and Chris Paul added 17 points and 10 assists for the Clippers.Westbrook had 29 points, 14 rebounds and nine assists, but he made just 9 of 25 shots. Victor Oladipo scored 18 points, Enes Kanter had 13 points and 11 rebounds and Roberson added 13 points and nine rebounds for Oklahoma City (6-3).The game was tied at 50 at halftime. The Clippers went on an 8-1 run early in the third quarter, highlighted by a spinning layup and 3-pointer by J.J. Redick, to go up 65-56. Griffin had 15 points on 7-for-8 shooting in the period to help the Clippers take an 82-74 lead in the fourth.I think our offense, spacing-wise, was really good, Griffin said. We attacked more, got out in transition, got some rebounds. Defensive stops led to some easy buckets.Westbrook tied the game at 102 with a 3-pointer with just over 2 minutes remaining, but the Clippers responded with a dunk by DeAndre Jordan and a 3-pointer by Crawford.The Thunder rallied again, but Westbrooks 28-footer was just off in the final seconds.Yeah, I probably should have drove it, but it was all right, Westbrook said.---TIP-INSClippers: Committed just five turnovers in each half. ... Jordan had 12 points and 13 rebounds. ... Jordan was called for a technical foul early in the third quarter.Thunder: Held the Clippers to 22.7 percent shooting in the first quarter to take a 24-16 lead. ... Oladipo scored 11 points in the first quarter. ... Westbrook was called for a technical after he disagreed with a foul call early in the third period. ... Roberson set a new career high with three 3-point goals. ... Sabonis made 4 of 5 3-pointers.HAPPY HOMECOMINGGriffin, an Oklahoma City native, has been booed in the past because hes been a thorn in the Thunders side. Now, with Kevin Durant gone, the fans have dreams of landing him in free agency. They showered Griffin with cheers during pregame introductions, which surprised him.A little bit, but its always nice to come back home, he said.QUOTABLEPaul, on how he guarded Westbrook: I did a lot differently tonight guarding Russ, he said. I didnt. It was Luc Mbah a Moute. That was the difference. I only guarded him a few times tonight.UP NEXTThe Clippers play at the Minnesota Timberwolves.The Thunder host the Orlando Magic and former teammate Serge Ibaka.---Follow Cliff Brunt on Twitter (at)CliffBruntAP. Peyton Manning Broncos Jersey . Each of Houstons starters scored in double figures as the Rockets improved to 2-0 against the Spurs this season, with both victories coming on the road. They also moved within 3 1/2 games of San Antonio (22-7) for the lead the Southwest Division. Noah Fant Broncos Jersey . The scientists believe the small earthquake during a Marshawn Lynch touchdown was likely greater than Lynchs famous "beast quake" touchdown run three years ago, which also came against New Orleans during a playoff game. http://www.broncosrookiestore.com/Broncos-Shannon-Sharpe-Jersey/ . Philadelphia is 2-0 against the Senators this season and scored five goals in each victory. The Flyers recorded a 5-0 win in Ottawa on Nov. 12 and then earned a 5-2 home decision on Nov. 19. The Flyers have claimed three straight and four of the last five encounters with the Sens overall and Philly has won two in a row and three of its past four tests in Canadas capital city. DeMarcus Ware Broncos Jersey . The Vikings announced Thursday that Priefer will be one of seven holdovers from the previous staff, along with offensive line coach Jeff Davidson, wide receivers coach George Stewart and others. Norv Turner will mark his 30th year of coaching in the NFL as the offensive co-ordinator, as widely reported for weeks, and George Edwards will be the defensive co-ordinator. Drew Lock Broncos Jersey . Down by seven with 90 seconds left in regulation, thats where they looked comfortable. CINCINNATI -- Chris Johnson isnt ready to replace Giancarlo Stantons power in Miamis lineup, but he did a good impression of the injured slugger on Monday.The Marlins first baseman drove in two runs with a homer and a double, former reliever David Phelps pitched into the sixth inning in his third start of the season and the Marlins opened their four-game series in Cincinnati with a 6-3 victoryJohnsons fifth home run of the season barely cleared the wall down the right field line before dropping into the visitors bullpen.It felt good off the barrel, he said. When I hit the ball the other way, I dont necessarily expect it to go out, but I hit it pretty good. It wouldnt have a home run at our place. Thats for sure, so Im glad I hit it here.Im not going to make up for Giancarlos power, he added. Dont look at me.Marcell Ozuna also homered and Dee Gordon beat Joey Vottos high toss to pitcher Blake Wood covering first base for a bases-loaded, two-run infield single for Miami, which has won two straight games after a three-game losing streak. Both wins have come since Stanton was lost on Saturday for what is expected to be at least six weeks with a groin injuryBench coach Tim Wallach, who took over when manager Don Mattingly was ejected in the third inning, expects efforts such as Johnsons will help make up for losing Stanton.You cant replace him, but we understand that we can win with whoever we send out there, Wallach said. Weve done it all year.The Marlins went into Monday one-half game behind St. Louis for the National Leagues second wild-card slot.Phelps (6-6) struck out the side in the first on his way to a season-high eight -- one short of matching his career high -- while allowing two runs in 5 1/3 innings. He gave up four hits with one walk.I try to treat every inning like a hold situation, Phelps said. Thats kind of the way Im taking it right now.Scott Schebler drove in two of Cincinnatis runs with a homer and a bases-loaded walk. His solo homer in the second snapped an 0-for-28 slump.Gordon led off the game with a double to right and scored on Martin Prados single on the 12th pitch of his at-bat against Brandon Finnegan. Johnson snapped a 1-1 tie with his first homer since July 20.dddddddddddd.Ozuna stretched the lead with a homer to lead off the sixth, his 20th of the season and first since July 30.Finnegan (7-9), 2-0 in his last three starts and 4-1 over his last six, allowed seven hits and four runs with three walks and three strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.I made a lot of good pitches today, Finnegan said. I had bad luck on two routine fly balls that carried out. Ive been going deep into games all year. There were just a few games that I didnt.Fernando Rodney pitched the ninth for his 21st save.REED REGROUPING: The Reds optioned winless LHP Cody Reed to Triple-A Louisville before Tuesdays game. Reed allowed six runs in Cincinnatis 7-3 loss at Milwaukee on Sunday before being pulled in the second inning. He is 0-7 with a 7.36 ERA in 10 starts.EARLY NIGHT: Mattingly was ejected in the bottom of the third by plate umpire Bill Welke after complaining to the third base umpire about a ruling that Tucker Barnhart didnt swing at a pitch. The ejection was Mattinglys third of the season.HITLESS IN CINCY: Ichiro Suzuki went 0 for 4 on Monday to fall to 0 for 7 in his career at Great American Ball Park, the only existing stadium in which hes failed to record a hit.TRAINING ROOMMarlins: RHP A.J. Ramos threw on Monday for the first time since going on the DL on Aug. 6 with a fractured finger on his right hand. Depending on how he feels, the next step would be a bullpen on Tuesday, Mattingly said.Reds: CF Billy Hamilton left Mondays game after five innings with a right knee contusion. Hamilton banged into the center field wall and the left-center field chain-link fence going after balls in the first three innings.UP NEXTMarlins: Miami announced after the game that RHP Jose Urena (1-3) would be recalled from Triple-A New Orleans to start Tuesdays second game of the series against the Reds.Reds: Ex-Marlin RHP Anthony DeSclafani (6-1) is scheduled to make his second career start against his former team on Tuesday. DeSclafani is coming off his first loss of the season, 3-2 last Wednesday at St Louis. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: Paloma
Board Statistics
The forum has 4949 topics and 5305 posts.

0 members have been online today:

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen