set.Second-seeded Ivo Karlovic of Croatia, a finalist in N

in Pony-Like Screenshots Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:38 am
by corse178 • 1.660 Posts

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessees Mercedes Russell wants to build on the momentum she established in the NCAA Tournament and meet the considerable expectations that surrounded the 6-foot-6 junior since her arrival on campus.Russell averaged a double-double in the tournament and had a 25-point, 15-rebound performance in a regional semifinal victory over Ohio State. She delivered the production many Lady Volunteers fans anticipated from Russell when multiple recruiting services rated her the nations No. 1 overall prospect in the class of 2013.It definitely helped my confidence, I would say, in a lot of ways, said Russell, of Springfield, Oregon.Her development is critical as the Lady Vols deal with a lack of frontcourt depth following the graduation of Bashaara Graves, one of only five players in school history to combine 1,000 career rebounds and 1,500 points.Overall depth is a concern for Tennessee, which opens the season Nov. 11 at James Madison. Tennessees roster includes 11 players, but only nine of them are available this season because of injuries to sophomore guard Tea Cooper and junior forward Cheridene Green.But the lack of proven performers is particularly evident in the frontcourt.I definitely have a lot of responsibility just because Im the only returning post, Russell said. As an upperclassman, I know I have to step up and help the other posts. I know the responsibility I have in the frontcourt is huge.Tennessees coaches have made that clear.Assistant coach Dean Lockwood says the staff hasnt set particular numbers for Russell to target but adds that she needs to be a pretty consistent double-double performer. Coaches say Russell is stronger and gained confidence and assertiveness.We need to get Mercedes the ball more, coach Holly Warlick said. Thats difficult when people are keying in on her, running a zone and packing it in on her. Thats hard because Mercedes shoots a great percentage, so weve got to find ways to try to get her the ball a little bit more, and she has to work a little harder (to get the ball). I think shes doing that right now. Its a compliment to her, but it also forces her to take her game to another level.Russell has been accustomed to dealing with high expectations. She was Tennessees highest-ranked recruit since Candace Parker signed with the Lady Vols in 2004.Injuries and inconsistency have made it tough for Russell to live up to that ranking, although she has been productive.Russell spent her entire freshman season dealing with foot problems that limited her effectiveness. She eventually underwent surgeries on both of her feet and sat out the entire 2014-15 season to recover.Last year was really truly Mercedes freshman year, Warlick said. Her (actual) freshman year, her feet were bad. She couldnt even run up and down the floor.She returned to action last season and averaged 9.9 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.8 blocks, although her real breakthrough came in the postseason. She had 13 points and 10.3 rebounds per game and shot 68.6 percent from the floor in the NCAA Tournament.Russells emergence helped Tennessee make a surprising run to a regional final as a No. 7 seed during a season in which the Lady Vols went 22-14 and set a school record for losses. The Lady Vols need her to make even more strides as they chase their first Final Four appearance since their 2008 championship season.Her being a high school player of the year, people say, `Oh gosh, we expect to see Breanna Stewart or Tina Charles, Lockwood said. She hasnt been that yet, but at the same time, shes been very consistent. Last year she was very consistent for us in terms of productivity, field-goal percentage and rebounding.We want more -- and I think she knows shes capable of more. Drew Bledsoe Womens Jersey . -- Anaheim Ducks defenceman Luca Sbisa will be out at least six weeks with a torn tendon in his right hand. Irving Fryar Patriots Jersey . -- Lou Brocks shoulder-to-shoulder collision with Bill Freehan during the 1968 World Series and Pete Roses bruising hit on Ray Fosse in the 1970 All-Star game could become relics of baseball history, like the dead-ball era. http://www.patriotsjerseysauthentic.com/John-Hannah-Super-Bowl-Jersey/ . Didier Drogba gave away the penalty that put Senegal one goal away from a major upset, but the veteran striker will get another chance -- probably his last -- at the World Cup after Salomon Kalous injury-time strike sealed the Ivorians place in Brazil next year. New England Patriots Jerseys . Wilson hit Schenn from behind during Tuesday nights game in Philadelphia, earning a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct. He has a phone hearing with the department of player safety, which limits any potential suspension to five or fewer games. John Hannah Jersey . -- Whether Jeremy Hill deserves a prominent role in LSUs offence this early in the season is a matter for debate. NEWPORT, R.I. -- Fourth-seeded Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus beat seventh-seeded Dudi Sela of Israel 6-2, 7-5 on Thursday to advance to the semifinals in the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships.Third-seeded Gilles Muller of Luxembourg and sixth-seeded Adrian Mannarino of France reached the quarterfinals. Muller topped Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic 7-6 (7), 6-4, and Mannarino rallied to edge Australias Sam Groth 7-6 (6), 6-3.The 31-year-old Baghdatis kissed the court when the match ended after giving a long embrace at the net to longtime friend Sela. The Cypriot is seeking his fifth career ATP title.We know each other from a very young age, Baghdatis said. A lot of emotions.Playing on the stadium court two days after calling a side court ridiculously bad, the 28-year-old Mannarino lost the first three games of the opening set and fell behind 5-1 before rallying on Newports grass courts.The tournament is held on the grounds of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.Marat Safin and Justine Henin head the 2016 class thats set to be enshrined during a center-court ceremony Saturday.Play was delayed for nearly three hours by rain after Mannarino won the first set.Second-seeded Ivo Karlovic of Croatia, a finalist in Newport the past two years, had his quarterfinal matcch against Switzerlands Marco Chiudinelli postponed until Friday.ddddddddddddMannarino said that playing inside the stadium helped him relax.For sure, I know that the stadium court is much better than the other court, he said. I knew that today was going to be some real tennis on the court. Thats pretty important to me. If Im going to lose, Im going to because the guy was better than me. I dont like to lose because the conditions were ugly for the players.Once play resumed, Mannarino continued his strong play.I was just trying to focus on my game (during the delay) and what I have to do, he said. It worked pretty well. When I got back on court, I was pretty consistent.Mannarino, the only Frenchman remaining in the field, was handed a French flag by a media member who wished him a Happy Bastille Day at a post-match news conference.On Tuesday, Mannarino said of a side court: The court is just ridiculously bad. Were playing (next to) the other court. Youve got the camera, the microphone on the court. You cant really move. This is really not respectful for the players to come, that kind of court.Mannarino entered the week ranked 55th on the ATP tour. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Paloma
Board Statistics
The forum has 4950 topics and 5306 posts.

0 members have been online today:

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen