men called Divots and Divas, Kim said. Its an hour long s

in Introduce Yourself As A Pony! Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:02 pm
by dasg234 • 815 Posts

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Kerron Clement cleared a space in his trophy case and wrote a little note on what would occupy that spot next: Gold Medal, 2016.The American 400-meter hurdler was that confident.So confident, in fact, that his mom, Claudette, packed the familys own American flag and brought it to Rio de Janeiro. You know, just for this moment when he actually won gold.I knew I was going to win, said Clement, who finished in 47.73 seconds and held off Boniface Mucheru Tumuti of Kenya by 0.05 seconds. I came out here with one mindset: Get a gold medal.When he returns home to Gainesville, Florida, he wont have to worry about finding a spot for Olympic gold medal No. 2 -- he made the room for it in January. This gold will pair nicely with the one he earned at the 2008 Beijing Games as part of the 4x400 relay team. He also earned a silver in Beijing in the 400 hurdles.Some might be superstitious about planning for a win before it happens. Not Clement.Im a Scorpio -- once I set my mind, Im going to get it, regardless, he said. I knew I was going to get that gold medal. I was sticking to that plan. Nothing or no one was going to stop me from achieving that.And to think, he almost stopped himself. Clement was struggling with his passion for the hurdles after the 2013 world championships. He needed a break.Although he trained in 2014, he tried his best to stay away from the hurdles. He went on a vacation to the Dominican Republic with friends while the U.S. held its championships that year. The only caveat on the trip: No track talk.I hit the refocus button, said Clement, who won the 400 hurdles at the worlds championships in 2007 and `09. Honestly, when I came back (in 2015), I found a new love for the hurdles ... having a new mindset, new goals for the second chapter of my career, which is now.The buzz surrounding Clement in recent days hasnt so much been his performance on the track, but, rather, his cameo a few years ago in a Beyonce video, Run the World (Girls).That was fun. Thursday was a show stopper.He credits his top-notch form to better health -- hes all the way back from hernia surgery in 2012 -- and to turning himself into more of a student of his race.When I was younger, I used to run and make silly mistakes, Clement explained. Now, Im wiser.Wise enough not to panic with the field gaining on him down the backstretch -- a field that was without Javier Culson, the 2012 Olympic bronze medalist from Puerto Rico, who was disqualified for a false start.Clements legs were burning with the finish line in sight and he thought about diving toward it.Not necessary. A well-timed lean did the trick.Technically, it was a perfect race, said Clement, who wears a Test me, Im clean bracelet to demonstrate his disdain for doping. I just focused on the 10 hurdles in my lane. I fought the last 100 meters. I knew the guys would be coming. I dug down deeper. I knew the guy from Kenya was coming.Bronze medalist Yasmani Copello saw big things for himself, too -- also thanks to his mom.Last night, she sent me a message, `I dream youre going to be big, explained Copello, who was born in Cuba and now competes for Turkey. I woke with that thought. I carry her in my heart.Clement knows the feeling. Thats why it meant a lot to him when he worked his way toward the stands and his mother handed him the flag.She just smiled, Clement said. I love seeing my mom smile. Shes going to cry when she sees me on the podium.Scarpe Adidas Nmd Uomo Italia . How great will be revealed in the next couple of days at the board of governors meeting in Pebble Beach, Calif. Scarpe Yeezy Negozi . And follow TSN.ca right through Deadline Day for all the updates. From Pierre LeBrun While Anaheim GM Bob Murray said earlier this season he was not going to trade Jonas Hiller despite the fact hes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, some sources have told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun that Murray might be willing to move another goalie. http://www.yeezyscarpeitalia.it/ultra-boost-scarpe-ingrosso.html . He says so-called TRT is only one problem and he wants to go even further than the ban. "Its about time," St-Pierre told reporters at a promotional event in Montreal on Friday. "I think its a good thing. Nmd Scarpe Italia .J. -- Pitcher Carl Pavano is retiring after 14 major league seasons. Yeezy Boost 350 Italia . The Vikings announced Thursday that Priefer will be one of seven holdovers from the previous staff, along with offensive line coach Jeff Davidson, wide receivers coach George Stewart and others. Norv Turner will mark his 30th year of coaching in the NFL as the offensive co-ordinator, as widely reported for weeks, and George Edwards will be the defensive co-ordinator.Will the return of golf to the Olympics in Rio bring more attention to womens golf and grow the game among women? As a former LPGA player, I think giving the sport an international platform certainly wont hurt womens golf. But the issues I see internally at golf courses are stagnating its growth.Many women struggle to find their place at the golf course -- they feel intimidated because they believe golf is a boys club and wonder where they fit in. This should come as no surprise, because several clubs dont make women feel welcome.Take, for instance, Muirfield Golf Club in Scotland, which voted in May to not allow women to become members. When the R&A ruled it would no longer hold Open Championships there as a result of the vote, Muirfield stated it will hold a second vote on allowing female membership. Still, it wasnt a good look for golf.There are many issues keeping women off the golf course, from intimidation to a lack of tee times.Im reminded of a time during my high school golf days. While practicing on the range, an older man approached me and, without permission, put his hands on me and said, Here, move your hips like this.His unwanted touches made me feel so uncomfortable that each time I went to the range thereon, I would isolate myself from the rest of those working on their games. I already had been playing for 10 years and had my sights on the LPGA. That one incident would not derail me from continuing to play, but it did impact me.Now, imagine a woman on the range who is just starting out and already feels nervous and self-conscious. Imagine her being approached by not one, but two men offering her unsolicited advice and touching her to show her what shes doing wrong.Some of these women dont come back as a result of the embarrassment.Vicki Vanderpool, PGA Junior golf director at Butler Country Club in Pittsburgh, saw this is as a recurring issue and started womens coaching practicing at her club.Its from 5 to 7 p.m. and ladies can just show up anytime and get help, Vanderpool said. Its on our private teaching range, which I feel will help get women out practicing and comfortable on the range. So many men keep giving ladies advice when they are on the range. And the funny thing, Ive never seen a woman go up to a man and give him unsolicited advice on his golf swing.Having this option has proven successful. Vanderpool said she even sees mothers bringing their daughters out now, because they have a safe place to practice.The idea of having designated areas for women is appealing. And if thats not possible, signage at the range reading, No unwanted coaching allowed. Leave that to the professionals could be beneficial. As a feminist, I believe in teaching women to be strong and to use their voices to say no when someone is bothering them. At a golf course or any training facility, though, a woman should not feel forced to do that. This is no different than gyms that have areas for women to protect them from harassment in the gym.A lack of female professionals also can contribute to fewer women playing.A representative from the PGA of America said only 948 of the 23,000 members are female. At the end of 2015, the LPGA teaching and club pros program only had 1,700 members total, some of whom are dual members of the PGA and LPGA.The PGA of America is striving to make its mark in womens golf, though. In 2014, Suzy Whaley was appointed PGA secretary, the first woman elected a PGA officer in the organizations history. Its a small but important step in giving women a voice in the golf world.In 2015, the PGGA partnered with the LPGA to run the Womens PGA Championship, the LPGAs second major of the year.dddddddddddd Such partnerships bolster a sense of unity between mens and womens golf.Another problem many clubs face is that mens leagues take over courses. At my golf club, womens leagues get one day: Monday mornings. The mens leagues have two days. Most women cannot take off work to play a round of golf on a weekday, unless they are using golf as a way to entertain a client. If courses took the initiative to offer women a 9-hole league in the evenings, they would open themselves up to a new clientele looking to connect with other female golfers.The Executive Womens Golf Association (EWGA) has worked diligently to provide more playing opportunities for working women and to connect women who work and love to play golf. There are 100 chapters nationwide and each month during golf season they host more than 7,500 golf, social and networking activities. The 12,000 members of EWGA receive discounts on lessons and greens fees, and special rates on apparel at various golf clubs. The EWGA said on average, a woman who is just beginning golf through their organization spent roughly $2,700 on equipment and activities, and each EWGA chapter generates $591,900 annually in golf-related spending in its community.I believe all golf courses are trying to figure out where their next customer is coming from, and how they can make an impression, Pam Swenson, CEO of EWGA, said. And we know that women are the gatekeepers in the family, and we [EWGA] have always professed that if courses welcome women, their families will also come.Events19, founded by Donna Hoffman, hosts clinics and 9-hole outings for beginners and experienced players. After the golf excursion, the women attend happy hour and partake in professional development activities, like learning how to close a deal on the golf course with a client.The first thing that attracts women to the game are the people [women, instructors, etc.] and then connecting to the environment around them, whether its the golf course, the facility and its accommodations, Hoffman said. More importantly, time is a commodity for women and I want our events to knock things off their to-do list, like meeting other professional women or fitting in exercise instead of having to go to the gym.Hoffman said many courses are eager to bring her in and see the value of having women at their course. The courses just need a little nudging, but most are open to suggestions on how to cater to women better.Catherine Kim, director of player development at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas, said she was brought in to help restructure her clubs womens programs.I do a Get Golf Ready program for women called Divots and Divas, Kim said. Its an hour long session that lasts six weeks and helps women get acquainted with golf. They also get an alcoholic beverage of their choice. They sell out so quickly and we keep wondering where all these women are coming from, but they want to learn. The fact they are socializing with other women while learning a sport, I believe, is a key to the success of my program.It appears the simple thing courses need to do is show they care about women. If golf clubs begin to acknowledge women and address the issues that cause insecurity and reluctance to play, they will garner a new wave of women who will feel respected on the course, and theyll continue to play and pay. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Paloma
Board Statistics
The forum has 4950 topics and 5306 posts.

0 members have been online today:

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen