-- 37 games into the season. Jedd Gyorko

in Pony-Like Screenshots Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:44 am
by Bellroll33 • 210 Posts

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Padres struggling offence finally had a breakout performance -- 37 games into the season. Jedd Gyorko hit two home runs off Jose Fernandez, including a grand slam, in the Padres 10-1 rout of the Miami Marlins on Friday night. Gyorko had a career-high six RBIs as the majors worst offence scored its season high in runs and had its first genuine laugher. "Im trying to think, have we had one?" Padres manager Bud Black asked. "Those type of games happen and its rare that we have only had one. There are two ways to look at it for me. On the positive side, there is more of that to come." For Gyorko, the win had more meaning coming less than 24 hours after his key error preceded Giancarlo Stantons go-ahead two-run homer in the 11th inning of the Marlins 3-1 win Thursday night. "That was probably one of the lowest points of my career, to be honest," Gyorko said. "To pretty much cost your team a game, its good to bounce back. Its good to show that resiliency." Gyorko, who came into the game hitting just .146, connected for a two-run shot in the second and a grand slam in the sixth. "Hopefully, a game like this can jump-start an offence," Gyorko said. "Its still to be determined." The Padres hope this game can spark the 25-year-old Gyorko, whom they signed to a five-year, $35 million contract extension last month. "Guys are capable of those types of performances," Black said. "Not that Jedd is going to hit two homers and hit a grand slam, but hes capable of knocking in some runs." The Padres, who came in averaging a major league-low 2.6 runs per game, snapped a three-game losing streak. It was their highest-scoring game since a 12-2 victory over Arizona last Sept. 25. San Diego sent 11 men to the plate during a six-run sixth inning that broke it open. The Padres previous high for runs in a single game this season was six. The run support was not lost on starter Tyson Ross (4-3), for whom the Padres had scored more than three runs just twice in his previous seven starts. "Its huge early in the game," he said. "The hitters did a great job with their approach. They had some good at-bats early and got on the board and really broke it open." Fernandez (4-2) was charged with six runs on six hits in five-plus innings. The right-hander, who won the NL Rookie of the Year award last season, was 2-0 with a sparkling 0.60 ERA in his previous four starts. "It was a tough one," Fernandez said. "I was trying to do what I do, go out there and compete. But mostly my stuff wasnt there today, my fastball really wasnt there." Miami manager Mike Redmond knew it right away. "It just wasnt his night. You could tell from the first inning on he was up in the zone and they hit some balls hard off him," Redmond said. "We really didnt get anything going offensively either and we didnt help him there." Ross was working on a shutout before Marcell Ozuna homered in the seventh inning. The righty allowed four hits and struck out eight in seven innings. Tim Stauffer and Kevin Quackenbush each pitched an inning to close out the combined four-hitter. San Diego won for just the third time in 10 games and snapped the Marlins five-game winning streak. Gyorkos fourth homer in the second came after Yasmani Grandal reached on a throwing error by first baseman Garrett Jones. Everth Cabrera sparked the Padres biggest inning of the season with a leadoff single in the sixth. Seth Smith singled and Grandal walked to load the bases for Gyorko, who turned on a 2-0 fastball and hit it into the second deck of the Western Metal Supply Building down the left-field line. It was Gyorkos second career multi-homer game and his second grand slam. Fernandez had beaten the Padres in two previous starts by giving up just five hits in 14 2-3 scoreless innings with 18 strikeouts. NOTES: Marlins RHP Carlos Marmol was struck in the back by a ball off Kyle Blanks bat while stretching during San Diegos batting practice. Marmol said he was fine. ... Barring an injury, Padres 3B Chase Headley (strained right calf) will be activated from the 15-day DL on Saturday. Headley was scheduled to play Friday night with Single-A Lake Elsinore. ... The San Diego State mens basketball team that won the Mountain West Conference regular-season title and reached the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament was honoured before the game. ... Marlins RHP Nathan Eovaldi (2-1, 2.78 ERA) opposes Padres LHP Eric Stults (1-3, 5.40) on Saturday night. Scarpe Adidas Springblade Offerta .Y. -- AJ Allmendingers journey is almost complete. Scarpe Nmd Nere Outlet . Catch the game on TSN starting at 7pm et/4pm pt. Tampa Bay currently holds the last of the Atlantics three automatic bids to the playoffs, but the Maple Leafs are just one point behind. http://www.scarpenmdscontate.it/scarpe-nmd-human-race-outlet.html . -- Dane Fox scored his 61st and 62nd goals of the season and Brendan Gaunce had a goal and three assists as the Erie Otters downed the Kitchener Rangers 7-3 on Saturday in Ontario Hockey League action. Stan Smith Outlet .Boston beat the Nashville Predators 5-3 on Tuesday night and celebrated consecutive wins for the first time in more than a month. Nmd Uomo Ingrosso . Pironkova, who was ranked outside the top 100 despite reaching the Wimbledon semifinals in 2010, beat three top 10 players in Sydney, 2012 French Open finalist Sara Errani, 2011 Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova and Kerber.SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- A day after learning what it felt like to be humbled, No. 10 Virginia Commonwealth learned how to benefit from the experience. After being virtually beaten at its own fast-paced style in a loss to Florida State, the 10th-ranked Rams found a way to win with their late-game toughness in a 73-67 victory over Long Beach State in the consolation bracket of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. Rob Brandenberg scored 19 points and helped ignite a rally that proved to be too much for a 49ers team that lost its fifth straight game. The Rams (4-1) trailed by eight early in the second half before reeling off that 13-0 run to take back control. "I was just trying to stay aggressive and just try and help my team any way I can," Brandenberg said of the spurt. "I realize that we had to play with some urgency at that time. It worked out." The victory earned the Rams a matchup Sunday with Georgetown, the team it beat in the second round of the 2011 NCAA tournament to first land VCUs program on the national stage. VCU had four players in double figures, including Juvonte Reddic with17 points and 10 rebounds, and Briante Webber with 15 points. Rams coach Shaka Smart called it a "hard-fought win." "I thought we responded well," Smart said. "Last night was a humbling game. And thats a good thing. Losing not a good thing, but its good to be humbled because it reminds you that you have a long way to go and we have to get better. " Long Beach State handled VCUs pressure well at times, committing only 10 turnovers. But it shot just 7 of 19 on 3-pointers. It was the first of VCUs five opponents this season that didnt have at least 20 giveaways. Branford Jones led Long Beach State (1-5) with 19 points and Mike Caffey added 15. But where VCUS defensive pressure failed it in the first half, the Rams began to succeed in speeding up the 49ers in the final 20 minutes of the game.dddddddddddd It didnt always produce turnovers, but it did force Long Beach State into quick shots. A string of misses triggered the 13-0 spurt that put the Rams up 55-50 with under 12 minutes to play. Long Beach State coach Dan Monson said it was a run they didnt have an answer for. "I thought we controlled the tempo and were able to dictate the tempo for 35 minutes," Monson said. "Thats all it took, just that two or three minutes against a team that dangerous, that explosive. Our margin for error was very small and we used it in that three-minute thing and we couldnt get a rebound or that next play to get us back in it." Long Beach State got the lead back at 58-57 on a 3-pointer by A.J. Spencer, but another quick burst by the Rams put them back in front 68-60 with 2:45 remaining. A 3-pointer from the wing by Jones and another 3 by Caffey with 16.5 seconds left cut it to 72-67. Long Beach State was aggressive in the opening 20 minutes and led 36-35 at the break. Both teams were up and down the floor in a half that featured nine ties and eight lead changes. The 49ers werent intimidated by the Rams pressure and turned it over only three times. VCU was shakier with the ball with six giveaways. The Rams were just 14 for 31 from the field, but had five 3s to keep pace. Smart said he likes the direction his team is trending in during its stay in San Juan. "Our guys are only human and theres been a lot of things said about them the last couple of months. Then they get that little number next to their name," he said. "But theres a process that goes into winning and theres a process into getting better. And I think last night reminded us of that. "The way we responded tonight was pretty good." ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Paloma
Board Statistics
The forum has 4949 topics and 5305 posts.

0 members have been online today:

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen